July / Aug Newsletter
July / Aug Newsletter
It’s that time of year again with lake water temperatures starting to rise making it pretty uncomfortable for the trout. However all is not lost and if you fish in the right conditions, location and time of day you can still be in for some enjoyable sport. So my top tips for fishing in the warmer weather are as follows:
1. To give yourself the best chance of catching choose a day with some cloud cover even a rainy day. Trout do not like bright sunlight!
2. Time of day, the best fishing during hot weather will be early morning and late evening. Avoid the mid-day heat.
3. Location, during hot weather some lakes at Albury will fish better than others. Generally Vale End lakes and river are a good bet as is Wood Lodge and Kingfisher pools and office beat at Weston.
4. Cover the water, it is important to keep mobile and fish different areas especially if you are not having any luck.
5. Ring the changes, it is really important to keep changing flies and the depth and pace you fish them.
Flies to try are the ever reliable BFD but at this time of year fish with smaller sizes and fish at different depths. Some days the fish will be near the surface and want a quick retrieve and some days they will want it fished deeper and slower. Buzzers and nymphs are a must and if you’re fishing in the evening we are getting some good sedge hatches.
In the clearer water stalking bugs will be an exciting option to take. Some really nice fish have been caught over the last few weeks (see pics below).
We have been working really hard to keep the place looking great and the time dedicated to maintenance (weed cutting, strimming and mowing) is huge and we try and keep the place in the best possible shape we can.
We have just begun the first of this year’s drain downs on Weston main lake. All other lakes at Weston will remain open during this time. It is anticipated that to drain and refill may take 4 to 6 weeks.
Syon is currently closed for some heavy duty maintenance of the lake bed and surrounding areas. The island rebuild has just commenced.
Fishing at Syon will commence in early September. Date to be announced. Stay tuned.
We are already getting a few dates put together for more Albury Fishing Club events. We have the following events happening:
• Fish Farm Tour September 11th 2019.
• Grayling Fishing on the Lower Itchen October 17th 2019.
• An Evening with Peter Cockwill at the Drummond Pub November 3rd 2019.
Each event has limited spaces so please email me at [email protected] to book a place.
Also wanted to thank everyone that supported me as part of the England Rivers Fly Fishing Team it is very much appreciated. It was a fantastic week with a great team which worked hard in practice. Ireland were the eventual winners and we just missed out on 2nd to a very experienced Scottish team. I have just returned from the England National Rivers Final (20thand 21stJuly) where I came 3rdwhich means I get to do it all again next year this time in Scotland on the River Don. Thought I would attach a few pictures from the week.
PS Don’t forget to keep up to date on how the lakes are fishing by keeping an eye on our website, updated daily or follow us on Twitter or Facebook.